Location: Greater Copenhagen, Denmark. Full-time on-site position (no remote work)
Position: Head of Technology R&D, full time
Travel: Expected 20% of the time (Europe, Global) site position
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
Starting date: ASAP
Closing date: Open for Applications
ATLANT 3D Nanosystems is a Danish deep-tech company founded in 2018 to revolutionize electronics manufacturing atom by atom. The company is developing a fundamentally different and innovative micro and nanofabrication platform technology and systems that enable atomically precise manufacturing of advanced materials and structures for electronics and optical markets.
In ATLANT 3D we are a highly dynamic, international, and multidisciplinary team of experienced professionals. The ATLANT 3D team culture is a significant asset that drives radical innovation and rapid movement and creates differentiating benefits like a bold vision, concrete technology, and commercial value. ATLANT 3D closed a substantial Series A investment round in August 2022 which is the largest Series A round in Denmark outside of the life sciences and software field. The funding will accelerate ATLANT 3D Nanosystems' growth including expanding the engineering and commercial teams, further developing the technology platform, and expand ATLANT business to the international market.
We are seeking a Head of Technology R&D to lead a small team of core technology experts for microfluidic nozzle development and fabrication, atomic layer deposition chemistry process, technology development, and mechanical systems R&D. The successful candidate ideally has expert knowledge in at least one of these areas and has sufficient knowledge and expertise to understand all involved system technologies and work with and direct the work of experts.
The position reports to the executive management team of the company, and specifically to the Chief Technology Officer. In this role, you will lead and be responsible for developing, tracking and maintaining the R&D project plans for the company and executing projects on time and on budget. The Head of Technology R&D will actively participate in the R&D in his area of expertise and help team members achieve project goals. The position will also have a strong tie-in to Engineering and the Product Development teams to ensure that R&D results can be transitioned to Engineering and are sufficiently complete and documented.
The Head of Technology R&D will work with patent attorneys to expand the company’s IP portfolio and obtain meaningful patent coverage for all inventions conceived in the company. Furthermore, you are expected to lead the IP protection effort together with the CTO in the form of periodic company training, development and monitoring of processes and ensuring best practices are followed by all departments. The position will also be in charge of managing collaborative R&D projects with external R&D partners. The Head of Technology R&D is expected to be a driver of innovation drawing on input from the CTO and his team members to expand the technology leadership of ATLANT 3D.
· Development and plans for research and development of new technologies and product ideas including budgets, timelines, resource management, and risk analysis.
· Ensure that R&D projects are planned properly, objectives and criteria for success are clear, and projects are executed with a sense of urgency to produce results.
· Work with Engineering to integrate R&D projects into product development plans with clear goals and objectives and successfully transfer R&D project results to Engineering with an adequate level of documentation.
· Support Applications and Engineering teams in the factory and in the field as required to meet company objectives.
· Work with the Product Management department and executive management team to align R&D projects with validated customer requirements, or internal requirements, for the product roadmap.
· Own the front end of the company technology development process (Concept and Investigation Phase)working with stakeholders from other departments.
· Actively recruit technical experts to augment the team based on technical needs.
· Mentoring and performance management of direct reports.
· Lead the R&D department to work with the Engineering team to ensure each R&D project considers necessary safety compliance.
· Participate with both Operations and Product Development departments in the evaluation, selection and management of critical component suppliers and derisking of single source supply chain issues.
· Work with the Finance and Operations department for budgeting and expense tracking of R&D projects.
· Establish a culture of constant innovation by leveraging the creativity of drive of team members and the CTO.
· Develop and maintain a system for tracking confidential information, disclosures, confidentiality agreements, trade secrets, and other components relevant to intellectual property.
· Develop and administer training for intellectual property development and protection for the company.
· Assist the executive team in setting company vision, and strategy anddeveloping high-level plans, objectives and budgets.
· M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, or other relevant fields with at least 7 years of industrial work experience with the aptitude to manage the activities of a small peer-level team of technology experts.
· Expert scientific knowledge in at least one of the core technologies employed in ATLANT 3D’s technologies and products.
· High level of general knowledge of relevant technologies and ability to communicate clearly with technology experts in their fields of expertise.
· Familiarity with aspects of intellectual property protection such as patents, non-disclosure agreements, and trade secrets.
· Results driven to create a sense of urgency for R&D projects to arrive at conclusions.
· Familiarity with Engineering processes and terminology.
· Project management experience.
· Full proficiency in English, at least C1 level, both verbal and written.
· Excellent leadership, interpersonal and communication skills with a passion for technical leadership and innovation.
· Self-motivated and pro-active to collect inputs and address issues timely.
· Sound judgment and decision-making skills.
· Ability to develop and empower team members to work independently to produce results.
· Results-driven to make optimal use of available resources to produce R&D results.
· Open-minded, critical thinker, and creative.
· The opportunity to become part of a company poised to revolutionize the development and manufacturing of electronic, photonics, and optics industries.
· An opportunity to have influence and make a significant contribution toa young and fast-growing company.
· International team collaboration.
· Opportunities and support to advance your personal development.
· Interactions with international partners, suppliers, customers, and associated travel.
At ATLANT 3D you will be a part of a team working towards disrupting 60 years of micro and nanofabrication technologies and systems: A once-in-a-lifetime experience. What we develop is unique, and we are incredibly excited to make a difference. You can join us to take a technological leap together. Growth opportunity. We are a fast-growing team with a need for experts, with ambitions to grow and flourish. Learning and development. We are working in a cross-disciplinary field. Become a pioneer with us in developing new knowledge and technologies. Work and Life balance. We value the balance between work and play and are fans of Danish Hygge and the Bavarian style. Life in Denmark. Denmark is recognized as one of the happiest countries in the world with a family-friendly and safe environment, easy commuting, a high level of life, free healthcare and access to any part of Europe or the World.
To apply, submit your information through the online form here: Link
In the application process you will be asked to attach a single PDF application file that should include:
· Motivation/cover letter in an overview form with 10 bullet points about you and a short paragraph on why you want to join the team.
· Curriculum vitae.
· List of publications and completed relevant projects.
If you have any questions or technical difficulties with the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.